9.1 The institution shall punish a student found guilty of ragging after following the procedure and in the manner prescribed herein under:
- The Anti-Ragging Committee of the institution shall take an appropriate decision, in regard to punishment or otherwise, depending on the facts of each incident of ragging and nature and gravity of the incident of ragging established in the recommendations of the Anti-Ragging Squad.
- The Anti-Ragging Committee may, depending on the nature and gravity of the guilt established by the Anti-Ragging Squad, award, to those found guilty, one or more of the following punishments, namely;
Provided that where the persons committing or abetting the act of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
- Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges.
- Withholding/ withdrawing scholarship/ fellowship and other benefits.
- Debarring from appearing in any test/ examination or other evaluationprocess.
- Withholding results.
- Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national orinternational meet, tournament, youth festival, etc.
- Suspension/ expulsion from the hostel.
- Cancellation of admission.
- Rustication from the institution for period ranging from one to foursemesters.
- Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for a specified period.
- An appeal against the order of punishment by the Anti-Ragging Committee shall lie,
- in case of an order of an institution, to the Chief Executive Officer of the Council;
- in case of an order of CEO of the Council, to its Chairman.
9.2 Where an institution fails to comply with any of the provisions of these Regulations or fails to curb ragging effectively, Council may take any one or more of the following actions, namely;
- Withdrawal of affiliation/recognition or other privileges conferred. Provided that where an institution is prohibited, the Council shall make suitable arrangements forthe other students so as to ensure that such students are able to pursuetheir academic studies.
- Prohibiting such institution from getting any student or students through JEE conducts by the Council for admission in the B.Sc. and M.Sc. programme of study.
- Withholding grants allocated to the Institute by the Ministry of Tourism or concerned State Government, if any;
- Withholding any grants channelized through the Council to the institution.
- Any other appropriate penalty within the powers of the Council.
9.3 Where in the opinion of the appointing authority, a lapse is attributable to any member of the faulty or staff of the institution, in the matter of reporting or taking prompt action to prevent an incident of ragging or who display an apathetic or insensitive attitude towards complaints of ragging, or who fail to take timely steps, whether required under these Regulations or otherwise, to prevent an incident or incidents of ragging, then such authority shall initiate departmental disciplinary action, in accordance with the prescribed procedure of the institution, against such member of the faulty or staff. Provided that where such lapse is attributable to the Head of the institution, the authority designated to appoint such Head shall take such departmental disciplinary action; and such action shall be without prejudice to any action that may be taken under the penal laws for abetment of ragging for failure to take timely steps in the prevention of ragging or punishing any student found guilty of ragging.
9.4 The Council shall, in respect of any institution that fails to take adequate steps to prevent ragging or fails to act in accordance with these Regulations or fails to punish perpetrators or incidents of ragging suitably, may take one of more of the measures, as mentioned in the regulation 9.2 above.